For the LOVE of Baking!

121 replies, 7 voices Last updated by Lauren 2 days, 23 hours ago
    • Lauren
      Keymaster
      @lauren

Amy- I was so inspired by your response to Kay in the Embodying Eden forum…these two lines really impacted me:

“The minute I baked my first pie at 6 or 7 she was like “you’ll be baking all the pies in this house.”

“I feel so passionate about helping unleash other people’s voices/creativity because I know we are here to share our gifts.”

We NEED a baking forum in the Spiral Creations group because 1) sharing is such a great way to cultivate creativity, but also to validate the soul’s voice as you said…2) its also helpful to stay connected to flow of it…and 3) to inspire creative expression in others.

I feel like my personal and very recent (re)discovery of baking comes from a literal up-levelling in my own “spiral of creation”…that it took ALL these years of releasing shame (of the voice of the feminine/creative expression) to uncover and accept what comes SO naturally to me in the most basic of ways. I also feel as I mentioned to Nabilla, that…as a Cancer…I am just now able to do things for myself what I have always been able to do so effortlessly for others. Which is about as Cancer as it gets.

• Lauren
      Keymaster
      @lauren

I have a new cupcake to share! This one was for my father’s birthday during our visit and he LOVES creme brulee and coconut flan so I did a little research and came up with a combination of recipes that worked. To try to assimilate the parts I made a bunch of things: a caramel sauce, a pastry cream (which surprisingly tasted pretty similar to creme brulee), cupcakes, and the icing.

For the cupcakes, I made a basic sour cream vanilla sponge (with just egg whites) and I stuffed them with the pastry cream and then made a caramel buttercream with marscapone and a little cream cheese to try to stiffen it. Then I dipped the cupcakes (frosting) in a bowl of sugar and scorched the tops with a kitchen flambe torch. On the scale of difficulty, I would say on the high end because trying to get a crunch like creme brulee on the top was brutal without melting the icing (u can see in the pics where they flopped). I ended up putting the cupcakes in the freezer for several minutes so I could get a golden brown finish but it took several rounds of fire because they just kept melting if I held the flame on them too long. (And I refused to use shortening which one of the recipes called for but bleh…hate the weird taste) Then as a variation, I made a separate batch with toasted coconut to get that coconut flan flavor that my dad loves. Not sure I would attempt it again but they were a huge hit…my father is still talking about them.

• Lauren
      Keymaster
      @lauren

Here’s the “coconut flan” cupcakes…the same base as the others, only the frosting is a coconut caramel buttercream with toasted coconut on top. (Check out the rainbow arc!) 🌈🧁

• AZAmy
      Participant
      @dragonfly716

Had so much fun Baking cookies this week, These Lofthouse look a likes were like clouds… So fluffy… Just realized they are New Earth colors…

• Lauren
      Keymaster
      @lauren

those are SO pretty! what are Lofthouse cookies??

p.s. I am secretly hoping people post thxgiving baking pics here next week ๐Ÿฆƒ๐Ÿฅง๐Ÿ˜

• AZAmy
      Participant
      @dragonfly716

https://www.lofthousecookies.com/ Soft, fluffy cookie, always frosted! Me too, love the Thanksgiving bakes!!!

• Igor
      Participant
      @igor

I have a lot to learn. We’re all here together. You all have extraordinary pastries.

• Lauren
      Keymaster
      @lauren

Off to a rough start for Thanksgiving baking. Only baked one dessert so far and Leon & I are so played out today that we ended up eating said dessert ๐Ÿ˜ฌโ€ฆafter a full day of football & sofa surfing. ๐Ÿˆ๐Ÿ›‹ #shameful ๐Ÿฅ

• Lauren
      Keymaster
      @lauren

p.s. oh yea…and if that wasn’t bad enough, I rolled the pumpkin roll from the wrong end ๐Ÿ˜ซ so now all my filling is stuffed in the middle and totally throws the ratio off. ๐Ÿ™„ I thought retrograde was over?? ๐Ÿค” I might be throwing in the towel this holiday.

• AZAmy
      Participant
      @dragonfly716

I have to ask is this some kind of attempt at a pumpkin cake roll ? I don’t know why but Ive been thinking about this concept of doing that design as a mini in a muffin tin for the past 2 weeks. You might not have the swirl tight enough (according to Mary Berry) lol but I bet it still tasted good. Im getting ready to make some pumpkin ๐ŸŽƒsnickerdoodles for the first time!

• Nabila Cowasjee
      Participant
      @nabilarc

I’m not sure my culinary offerings fall into the category of baking per se but I have felt a rise (and now a sharp fall) in my desire to cook/create too. Most of these have been done in the past 2-3 weeks. (at the moment I have NO desire to cook however!)

Love seeing all your posts here. I have always found that when I can’t seem to find my creatorship if I get in the kitchen I can manage to knock something out that soothes me.

I have this love hate relationship with cooking. But recently I’ve allowed myself to cook just for the fun of it (30+ years of cooking daily for family will knock fun out of it).

Sharing a few of my own creations just because…

I’m so obsessed with ‘pretty’ right now; the beauty of food. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Nabila Cowasjee
      Participant
      @nabilarc

yum!

• AZAmy
      Participant
      @dragonfly716

These are Gorg Nabila! I’m always obsessed with pretty! Can you tell me what they all are??? It is an interesting time… I’m less interested in eating my creations right now as I am making them. I think it’s more about what is sparking joy and creativity. Yesterday I didn’t have much to eat besides coffee and some toast. The toast ended up making me feel so uncomfortable that I was having trouble breathing while walking Beau. Im experiencing similar things. But then I’ll have a day where I love eating my creations. Im just rolling with it. This year’s Thanksgiving doesn’t feel like a year to eat or drink much though. But Im not gonna miss pie with whipped cream!

• Lauren
      Keymaster
      @lauren

These are so beautiful to look at! So inspired. Are those edible flowers on the beets? And I am in the same boat with both you and @dragonfly716 regarding cooking/baking more for the art than eating. Some days I can’t eat my creations, just don’t have the appetite for food, other days I can. Which is why I am very grateful that Leon is the chef of the house because I could never get dinner on the table every night…to me that is a superhuman power.

In fact, I prefer baking to cooking for the simple fact that there is obligation energy around food where dessert is more for indulgence, joy and creative expression. I am just now able to cook for myself, to nourish my self in the places I have had access to after all the years of ascension…but I DEF still prefer baking.

Speaking of which, I just baked a new thxgiving dessert last night for Leon’s brother who has been begging me to bake an Almond Clementine syrup cake from Jerusalem. Definitely NOT the prettiest cake but the primary ingredient is ground raw almonds (like 2.5 cups ๐Ÿ˜ณ) I also added 3/4 cup of whole wheat flour to enhance the earthy flavor. Then it is soaked with a boiling liquid citrus glaze that is made with clementine juice, lemon juice, and sugar. Not sure what this will taste like but it feels more like a breakfast cake than dessert. I hope it’s good, tho with all the fatigue and physical sickness I’ve been working under, its a miracle it’s even baked. Ugly and all ๐Ÿ˜ฌ

• Lauren
      Keymaster
      @lauren

Nabilla you should create a new topic for Food Art! I would LOVE to see more of your edible creations ๐Ÿ˜

• Nabila Cowasjee
      Participant
      @nabilarc

Thank you @dragonfly716 and @lauren ๐Ÿ™‚

They are a panacotta with pomegranate glaze and a pistachio praline, good old Scones, roasted beetroot salad with wheels of goats cheese adorned with edible pansies from my garden and a rich chocolate and dehydrated raspberry mousse topped with a Baileys infused marscapone cream.

@dragonfly716
      “The toast ended up making me feel so uncomfortable that I was having trouble breathing while walking Beau.”

I get like this with food sometimes. I feel empty but when I eat even a little bit of something I feel incredibly drained/tired.

Like you @dragonfly716 and @lauren, I have bursts of wanting to create food that often doesn’t match with an appetite that follows. I do like to see my peeps at home enjoy themselves however. I think there has been much of this ‘mother’ energy around food for me for this whole experience plus I have a husband who lives and breathes for food, would love a restaurant/cafe but can’t cook to save his life!

I am not cut out at all to manifest his dreams due to what @lauren mentioned ‘obligation energy’ and just too tired.

I have found it SO hard at times (especially with all this ascension stuff which I have been experiencing for over 30 years now) to provide clean wholesome yet interesting food for the family on a daily basis, yet by and large I have done this. I was just saying to myself yesterday that maybe I should be just a little bit in awe of myself for this feat alone.

One of my points of evolution I sense is to acknowledge my self more profoundly for raising a family, moving to 5 different countries, living in/moving to 22 homes/houses, dealing with the many ups and downs so much ‘movement’ incurs (financial, social, relationship, keeping kids sane/feeling safe etc) making new friends all with no extended family support (requires a lot of outward energy espcially for an HSP/introvert and… cooking/shopping/thinking of a million darned meals (lol) all the while going through all this ” ascension/transformative” stuff which I have personally experienced VERY physically. (read drained and half dead most of the time!) #highfivetome!

I also think that in terms of expressing my creative impulses, food, because of my long term entwinement with it, is actually the easiest expression of creativity available to me right now.

This is due to forced family commitments, endeavouring to be a conscious mother who also was never on the receiving end of nurturance via food from my own mother and thus wanted my kids to experience that key form of ‘nourishment, and my innate proclivity to view food both from its healing/wholeing/sustaining level and from a much needed pleasure/fun/creative level.

I have a heap of other creative dreams that are slowly growing but cooking is my quick go-to default mode. I’m hoping that by embracing the food thing with less resistance it will take me deeper into other creative calls.

Perhaps this whole food/baking thing is also showing us metaphorically that we are able to sustain ourselves with ease and joy. The fact that desserts and baking seem to be calling us maybe ties in with the ‘sweetness”/ ambrosia/nectar theme that is finding many of us.

Life is sweet.. if you allow/bake.. it! ๐Ÿ™‚

And here’s a few more.. (shy face!). Persian pear and pistachio cake. Lemon berry tart, Cherry Cheesecake and an Espresso cake. Wish I could have you all around for tea.<3

XX

• Nabila Cowasjee
      Participant
      @nabilarc

@lauren. I love Almond Clementine cake. I have a great easy recipe that uses the whole clementines rather than just soaking the cake with the syrup. It involves boiling up the clementines till they are soft and then blitzing them and the almond meal, eggs, sugar etc all up in a food processor with a bit of bi-carb for lift.

When my sister visits from overseas this is her favourite as it’s gluten free and I make it with xylitol because she is a type one diabetic.

It’s a favourite in our house especially when served with some marscapone laced with orange blossom water ๐Ÿ™‚ The smell of all that orangey stuff is heavenly.

I hope you enjoyed your cake. It looked perfect.

x

• Lauren
      Keymaster
      @lauren

The fact that desserts and baking seem to be calling us maybe ties in with the โ€˜sweetnessโ€/ ambrosia/nectar theme that is finding many of us.

LOVE that perspective! I noticed my ability and desire to bake just “turned on” with my masculine processor. Before that activated last year, I didn’t have the mental ability to follow recipes and be precise with measurements. I think this, in addition to the expression of creativity, is why I am suddenly SO in love with baking…I get high being able to think with and apply my masculine mind after a lifetime of floundering in feminine creativity. Cooking is way more feminine…way more “forgiving”, more creatively impulsive and spontaneous. Baking requires a strong thinking mind, rules/guidelines, focus and precision and that is such a new experience for me that for the moment, I can’t get enough of it.

p.s. HOLY CRAP did you just bake all these beautiful desserts recently??!! I am panting in exhaustion just looking at them. And they are all so FANCY my gawd!

• Lauren
      Keymaster
      @lauren

@nabilarc glad to know it looks right to you…to me it looks pretty frumpy but I don’t know how it’s supposed to look really. We haven’t tried it yet…today is Thanskgiving so we’ll see how it goes. I’ll let you know if its a hit or a bomb…it feels intimidatingly dense ๐Ÿ˜ฌ

• Elena
      Participant
      @eks2019

These are all so lovely and I so get your post and all the others on here. I used to be an avid baker and wanted to go to chef school but went through a long period where my focus and sense of detail went out the window for personal expressions as my job was overkill in that department. Would you be willing to share the persian cake recipe? I have been looking for a good recipe for this!

• AZAmy
      Participant
      @dragonfly716

The Pumpkin Snickerdoodles did happen. A bit sweet for me, but they seemed to disappear quickly.

• Lauren
      Keymaster
      @lauren

@nabilarc UPDATE: Almond Clementine cake was a hit! It actually was really delicious…dense but really moist, was very almondy but in a subtle natural way (I hate almond extract) and the citrus glaze was delightful…a perfect bright complement to the nuttiness. I had low expectations so this one really floored me…guests ate it every day for breakfast. Will definitely make that again.

• Lauren
      Keymaster
      @lauren

I just saw these Amy! they look so soft, like they have the pumpkiny chew i love. And i hear you re the sweetness…I reduce the sugar in everything I bake. That is why I refuse to make standard American buttercream, sickeningly sweet, and am always looking for non-sweet additives to increase the size of the batch without adding more powdered sugar. Usually that amounts to sour cream, cream cheese or mascarpone but I’ve been having trouble with mascarpone lately, it keeps breaking my icing and makes it granular if I use too much. I much prefer ermine frosting or even Italian buttercream.

• Simone
      @simone612

Almond Clementineย cake would have been my favourite choice, too! I prefer these kinds of cakes, I’m not so much into cakes that are made of/with creamy ingredients.
      I would love to know the recipe in case you want to share. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• Nabila Cowasjee
      Participant
      @nabilarc

@lauren. Yay! You can’t really go wrong with those ingredients.

I was quite surprised on my recent US visit to see that most cakes are of that creamy, overly sweet buttery genre. I think my ‘earthiness’ found the whole ‘angel cake’ thing a little unsatisfying! I remember as a kid in Pakistan in the 70’s being seriously bemused when invited over to an American friends house to make cake to find it come out of a box (Betty Crocker I think). I’d never seen this before as there was nothing like this in Pakistan at the time. We couldn’t even get chocolate or cheese.

My cake history is seeded by my maternal grandmother, a post war cook who made wonderful things out of nothing but it was all home made with basic ingredients, often dense. I think that comes from the need to fill growing boys up as best you can :). Much like the La Cucina Povera of Italian fame.

The Aussie cake culture is much the same. Kind of old fashioned farm house baking- no frills, much like its society.

If I do anything with icing I merely mix icing sugar with lemon juice and drizzle it over the top as I don’t like slathers of creamy buttery icing/frosting.

• Nabila Cowasjee
      Participant
      @nabilarc

@eks2019 Hi Elena

Thanks for your comments. This recipe is a Nigella Lawson one. I added dried pears to the top for the ‘look’.

Heres the link to the recipe.
      https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/nigella-lawson-pear-pistachio-and-rose-cake-zgr3xmmbw

• AZAmy
      Participant
      @dragonfly716

Sour Dough Cinnamon Rolls ๐Ÿ˜ Love the house smells of fresh baked bread and cinnamon!

• Nabila Cowasjee
      Participant
      @nabilarc

yum! Love the sour dough element. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Lauren
      Keymaster
      @lauren

The recipe I used was from one of our Jerusalem cookbooks but this one looks pretty much identical. I hope you bake it! ๐Ÿ˜

• Simone
      @simone612

Awesome, thank you! I think I will bake it to be my birthday cake on Friday. ๐ŸŽ‚๐ŸŽˆ๐Ÿฅณ

• Lauren
      Keymaster
      @lauren

ugh…those are so hard to look at! Were they as good as they look?? I definitely want to try my hand at cinnamon buns, are they difficult? And would you recommend the sourdough over not?

• AZAmy
      Participant
      @dragonfly716

I don’t think its hard at all, I do part of it on the dough cycle with my bread maker and then let it proof 1 cycle and this time I rolled it out and put it back in the fridge to bake the next morning. I have made this recipe multiple times and it always comes out the best cinnamon rolls I have ever made or had anywhere. This time they were a little drier and I’m not sure why, the dough wasn’t dry at all. ( they are still very good, but my perfectionistic baker self knows we weren’t quite at nirvana. But it was a weird weather day so maybe that had something to do with it or the flour I used. I didn’t bake this batch with the highest quality I normally do)

• Simone
      @simone612

Made a variation of the almond clementine cake, using what I had at home. So this is now a carrot-orange-almond cake. And I definitely wanted to try pouring hot syrup made of orange juice and sugar over the cake like it was suggested in the recipe, it’s really yummy!

• Lauren
      Keymaster
      @lauren

that came out great! Looks so bright and fresh inside…so creative to mix in carrot, a perfect compliment. I hope you get to enjoy all of your special birthday cake ๐ŸŽ‚

• AZAmy
      Participant
      @dragonfly716

My sourdough experimentations are continuing. Tried my hand at English muffins. While I know I over proofed them ( got side-tracked out for lunch) and some actually baked a bit much, They still taste incredible toasted.

This morning I made Sourdough Pancakes, They taste even better than my mom’s buttermilk I grew up with in-fact they were melt in your mouth amazing!

• Igor
      Participant
      @igor

Oh, my God, they’re delicious. Pancakes with tea. And pancakes can be made with Goodies or rolled into a tube.Toasted is even better with a crispy crust.

• Lauren
      Keymaster
      @lauren

I tried my hand at cookie decorating last night…first time I ever piped and flooded. Not sure I loved it…it was messy and challenging and A LOT of steps…and not sure I am great at it.

Also, royal icing never tastes great… @dragonfly716 is there an icing that hardens that actually tastes good and not just sweet? I did what I could to doctor it up…used meringue powder, cream of tartar, vanilla extract, fresh lemon and lemon zest for all the cookies except the candy canes in which I used peppermint oil instead. Cookies were right in the middle between sugar and butter cookies. Oh! And the christmas tree cookies I added chopped rosemary into the batter to give it a “piney” taste. Was interesting and kinda good juxtaposed against the buttery sweetness. I would do that part again.

• Nabila Cowasjee
      Participant
      @nabilarc

wow! They look the biz.
      Sounds all very creative. Love the rosemary infusion ๐Ÿ™‚

• AZAmy
      Participant
      @dragonfly716

@lauren they look great. I’ve not done the flooding thing either, I was going to try that this year but haven’t yet. I probably would like it since its kinda like doing art which Ive always loved. As for royal icing… yeah I feel like its all pretty sweet. I would have to look to see if anything else exists. I’ve never decorated a cake with fancy cake decorating tips either, My Mom did this as a side hustle while we were growing up but funny I never showed much interest, but after watching so much of British Bakeoff now I want to learn. ๐Ÿ‘ฉโ€๐Ÿณ๐Ÿฐ Just made a batch of doggie treats…Beau seems to like them ๐Ÿพ

• Igor
      Participant
      @igor

Very festive and gorgeous. The glaze is made creatively very beautiful. I saw the heart-shaped creations on the top right. 3 Christmas trees +1 Christmas tree on the right and 2 + 2 items and a snowman with a gift. 3+1/2/2/1/1

• Lauren
      Keymaster
      @lauren

thx Nabilla I liked the rosemary infusion too…unfortunately my sister and her gf didnt…they kept eating around the herbs ๐Ÿ™„

• Lauren
      Keymaster
      @lauren

yay for beau treats! ๐Ÿฆด And I hear you about decorating…had no real interest either until my recent foray into baking when I made that red velvet cake and wanted it to be pretty. I have always been more flavor focused but trying to bring the other side online and be more creative.

re royal icing, its fun to pipe with…its like decorating with glue…but I don’t eat the icing so much. The lemon seemed to help a lot…cut thru the sweetness and contrasted the cookies nice but all in all, not the greatest flavor and the decorating process is so time-consuming that it limits the yield. These are a fun bonus I guess, in addition to other cookies, but without ascension sickness and fatigue I def would have made these two weeks prior and froze them.

I am “planning on” making a few dozen of my regular butter spritz cookies this weekend which everyone is secretly waiting for even if supportive on the surface of me branching out. That said, I am starting to get pretty winded from the solstice energies already so not sure how far I will get with baking again. This completion portal has been relentless.

• AZAmy
      Participant
      @dragonfly716

thx Nabilla I liked the rosemary infusion tooโ€ฆunfortunately my sister and her gf didntโ€ฆthey kept eating around the herbs ๐Ÿ™„ @Lauren this made me laugh so much!!!

• AZAmy
      Participant
      @dragonfly716

@lauren I ended making these treats for Beau if you end up taking them on in the future. 3 simple ingredients. I didn’t even food processor the oats I just used some oat flour i already had. I wanted to make mine into little dog bones, but I have been on the look out for my cookie cutters which haven’t resurfaced yet in my move. I got creative and just used the lid to my salt shaker.
      https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/pumpkin-peanut-butter-dog-treats-just-3-ingredients/

• Lauren
      Keymaster
      @lauren

oh those look so easy! Maybe I make a quick batch for Gordo who will be here for xmas…thx!

p.s. i feel so sad when people make their dogs “vegetarians” ๐Ÿ˜”

• AZAmy
      Participant
      @dragonfly716

Beau’s Biscuits!

• Lauren
      Keymaster
      @lauren

those look good enuf to eat!

• Nabila Cowasjee
      Participant
      @nabilarc

Christmas goodies.

Wishing you all an easy festive Christmas.

SEASONS EATINGS!

• AZAmy
      Participant
      @dragonfly716

These are beautiful and I bet very tasty! I love seeing them!

• AZAmy
      Participant
      @dragonfly716

My layered birthday cake turned into cupcakes. Vanilla cake with cream cheese frosting. My friends loved them. I wasn’t up for trying to transport a layered cake 30 minutes
      across town.

• Nabila Cowasjee
      Participant
      @nabilarc

They look gorgeous and I bet taste divine. Happy Christmas ๐Ÿ™‚ x

• Lauren
      Keymaster
      @lauren

these are so pretty Nabila! LOVE the star cut out, so fun…what are the cookies in the front…are they stuffed with something? They look like they are baked to perfection ๐Ÿ˜

• Lauren
      Keymaster
      @lauren

I’m such a sucker for a cupcake! And yes, they are SO much easier to transport. Also easier for parties. these look YUMMY and i love the adorable little minis on the bottom ๐Ÿฅฐ

I made another batch of butter (spritz) cookies last night…basic “santa cookies”. These are for sheer yield because people eat them like mad. My family compares all cookies to these, its so annoying. I got 5 dozen out of the batch, hope its enuf for the holiday. Today I am baking another cookie and prepping Christmas dinner dessert. Hope I can hold up, SO fatigued. ๐Ÿ’ค๐Ÿ˜ด

• AZAmy
      Participant
      @dragonfly716

Spritz are so nostalgic, reminds me of my mom, we used to make them every year and yes always a big batch. We also used to make Rosettes! Somehow I always made mini cream puffs at the holidays too. Doesn’t really seem like they are very holidayish unless you do a croquembouche but we didn’t care we made them anyway.

• Lauren
      Keymaster
      @lauren

Spritz are def nostalgic…and, of course, it was my mom who bought me the gun many years ago. ๐Ÿ˜”

I โค๏ธ CREAM PUFFS! They are super popular in my culture but I never grow tired of them. Also cute, I had a pastry chef at our restaurant who made everything on our menu except cream puffs because in the townhouse right next door to our storefront there was well known older Italian woman who made them for locals so we commissioned her to make us 3 dozen every Friday for weekend sales. Sometimes she would pop in to “check on her desserts” and to see how our customers were enjoying them…it was really adorable and REALLY delicious.

Speaking of delicious…tried a new cookie recipe yesterday for Christmas: Almond flour and orange zest thumbprints with homemade apricot and orange marmalade. HOLY CRAP are they GOOD. Total last-minute whim, best decision I made.

• AZAmy
      Participant
      @dragonfly716

Those look so pretty and delish especially on that gorgeous plate! I would like those, I bake a lot with almond flour and have been lately also using oat flour.. I took some cupcakes and lemon cookies I made to the staff here yesterday at my complex… My house smells like Cinnamon rolls this morning as I just baked a batch for My sister’s family, my niece flies out today to spend Christmas with them in Ohio.. If heaven had a smell for me.. it would definitely be “fresh baked cinnamon rolls” ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘ฉโ€๐Ÿณ

• Lauren
      Keymaster
      @lauren

thank you ๐Ÿ˜ they are even better tasting than they look!

reโ†’ “If heaven had a smell for me.. it would definitely be โ€œfresh baked cinnamon rollsโ€ ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘ฉโ€๐Ÿณ

amen, Amen, AMEN! And how fun that you get to play Mrs Claus and bring baked goodies to your building staff. Man, they are gonna LOVE YOU.

p.s. forgot to say re croquembouche that I always found those to be pretty intense…and would worry that sauce and sugars used to hold it together would take away from the delicate flavor of the pastry and the pastry cream!

• Lauren
      Keymaster
      @lauren

Amy I followed your lead and made Gordo a huge batch of dog treats for xmas ๐Ÿถ๐Ÿฆด It was perfect cuz i had 2/3 of can of organic pumpkin leftover from thxgiving that i froze and didn’t know what to do with. I made up my own recipe with what i had in the cupboard and ended up using pumpkin, natural peanut butter, apple sauce, 2 eggs, and brown rice flour. They tasted awful to me, but he loved them!

• AZAmy
      Participant
      @dragonfly716

Bravo! They aren’t supposed to have our same taste buds so… that makes sense …your version sounds like a win! Ya cant really go wrong with those simple ingredients. Love that Gordo loved them!!! ๐Ÿพ

• Lauren
      Keymaster
      @lauren

For Christmas dessert this year I tried a British classic: STICKY TOFFEE PUDDING CAKE ๐Ÿคญ Was crazy good, super moist and you can’t really go wrong with toffee caramel sauce. #cheating

The cake is made with dates which I never baked with before but it felt very Christmassy so I thought I’d give it go. Glad I did, everybody swooned. To take it up another notch I also made a Crรฉme Anglaise for another dimension of flavor. The best part was that instead of baking in ramekins which is more traditional, I made mini bunt cakes and the bottoms (accidentally?) baked over (the holes) sealing off the bottoms so it made perfect little “sauce cups”(and for chopped pecans for those who wanted nuts) in the middle. Then when you cut into it all the gooey yum oozed out like a lava cake. In a word: dreamy

My sister loved it so much she took videos of me saucing ๐Ÿฅฐ

• AZAmy
      Participant
      @dragonfly716

My Obsession with “white” continues.. Lemon cookies and Walnut Kisses.

• AZAmy
      Participant
      @dragonfly716

@Lauren These are so fancy!!! Mary Berry would be so proud! (BTW on Youtube they are showing the full special With Mary Berry and Kate and Wills.)

I haven’t tried anything even remotely like this, You are inspiring me to do something showstopping. But not this week…Im back baking bread although I did make the best Pumpkin pie ever on Christmas Day…The crust was the best I think Ive ever made, I tried a new recipe for the crust and I just want to keep[ eating it. so flakey , buttery and with a touch of sugar!

• Lauren
      Keymaster
      @lauren

1) i love that you are having an obsession with white/purity rn as we return to our masculine innocence ๐Ÿ˜‡…2) your lemon cookies look ALOT like what Italians call zuccarini cookies which are typically made with anisette but you can also make a lemon version. They are some of my favorites…taste like little clouds of heaven! 3) i also LOVE walnut “kisses”…tho I know them as “snowballs”. I contemplated making them in my lineup this year but decided on the thumbprints instead.

p.s and thx too for the sticky pudding love ๐Ÿ˜ they were equally as fun to make as they were delicious! and btw, i can only dream of making Mary Berry proud!

• AZAmy
      Participant
      @dragonfly716

Yes these lemon cookies are very soft… I seem to be making cloud cookies this year. The walnut kisses are a family favorite and unlike many recipes out there these have a hidden hershey kiss in the center. Since I didn’t go home this year and made them late, I just put most in the freezer. Gearing up to make sourdough tortillas and an artisan loaf of sourdough bread. Just found my Dutch oven. I also am still searching for all my cookie cutters, although Im done with cookies for awhile.

I have a couple of late gifts I want to make so Im going to make some homemade nutella, Cranberry Orange Granola and possibly some glimmering body butter.

• Igor
      Participant
      @igor

Divine recipes, divine taste, and divine creation. It can be expressed in such a way that the baking gods merged in the unity of creation.

• AZAmy
      Participant
      @dragonfly716

I made my 2nd batch of Sour dough English muffins, this time i didn’t over proof them and they came out even better! They look like white fluffy clouds!!! Better than any I have ever tasted or bought! Lately every thing tastes better than ever a sign that our LOVE is seeping into EVERYTHING!

• Simone
      @simone612

They look super yummy Amy! ๐Ÿ˜‹๐Ÿ˜

• Lauren
      Keymaster
      @lauren

Get. in. my. belly! OMG they looks so fluffy and good…i love how everything you are making lately is so cloud-like โ˜๏ธ๐Ÿฅฎ๐Ÿฅž๐Ÿฅฏ

• AZAmy
      Participant
      @dragonfly716

@Lauren I wish I could hand some off to you right now! This recipe made 26 so I froze most of them but Teri is coming over soon and I’m going to give her some of my sourdough starter and get her going. The starter I have I purchased and its originally from Russia and has been going 25 + years. so no doubt that is helping things taste amazing too.

• Claire
      Participant
      @claire

How wonderful for you Teri! I used to have a sourdough starter some 25ish years ago, but let it go with all the demands of life. I just bought my hubby a book called “The Sourdough School” which looks excellent, very informative. We are immersing ourselves into it once again and are looking for a sourdough starter. Bi-locating would be very convenient right about now!

BTW, those english muffins look amazing!!โ˜๏ธ

• Lauren
      Keymaster
      @lauren

Is older better with starters? I see them on Etsy…some of them are 100 years old!

• AZAmy
      Participant
      @dragonfly716

Its kinda like good wine, the older wines have more depth, same with Sour dough. Both can make a good loaf but I just felt the older starter would be more flavorful. If you ever decide to start with sourdough, I’ll send you some!

• AZAmy
      Participant
      @dragonfly716

Thank you @Claire, IM having so much fun playing with the starter. are you in the states ? If so I could prolly easily send you some.

• AZAmy
      Participant
      @dragonfly716

Last night I whipped up sour dough tortillas…. so yummy and used one to dip in hummus, so naan bread may be next. ๐Ÿ˜

• Lauren
      Keymaster
      @lauren

Thanks Amy! My sister in law (brother’s wife) who bakes for a living (!) has a sd starter that she is always trying to give me but I have been too reticent to give it a go. That will likely change now as I have been exploring and experimenting more and more. (btw sour dough tortillas for hummus sound amazing…Leon would be SO into those.)

I baked a little last night as a reward for finishing the report…had leftover dates from xmas and old bananas so I made banana/apple muffins with almond flour, applesauce, and coconut milk and topped them with chopped dates and walnuts in a butter, maple syrup, and sea salt compote. Total experiement…totally/accidentally delicious!

• AZAmy
      Participant
      @dragonfly716

Those look yummy! I love your creative spin on things. I need to get a bit more adventurous with experimenting in my baking recipes. I have baked a lot with almond flour and found some good recipes. If you are into alternative flours I am also liking oat flour and recently made a banana bread with it and it turned out good.

The tortillas were super easy and really fun to make. Sadly, Im sensitive to corn and the flour tortillas mostly around here have so much junk in them ,I’m grateful I can make these now and have a much better option for my gut! and they are delicious, Leon will love them. โค๏ธ

How to Make Sourdough Tortillas

• Claire
      Participant
      @claire

Thanks for the generous sentiment Amy!๐Ÿ™ Alas, I am Canadian, I’m not sure of the ease of moving sourdough starter across the border via post — although we are Master creators! We do have an excellent sourdough bakery in town, I will see if they will sell me some starter.

In the spirit of Baking I woke this morning with an intense compulsion to make cinnamon rolls AGAIN. I’m sensing that this happens whenever I’m about to shift “into” another level on that never ending spiral of …..

• AZAmy
      Participant
      @dragonfly716

Ahhh me too Ive made them twice since Christmas eve! Today part of my practice was to savor every bite, making me very present ๐ŸŽ with food. Love your symbolism.

• Nabila Cowasjee
      Participant
      @nabilarc

Enough already! Will someone send me some cinnamon rolls please!! ๐Ÿ˜‚
      I’ve not been in baking mood for a while but it’s raining here this morning and I am craving some “Eden/New Earth” cinnamon rolls! @AZAmy ++++

It’s time to activate our teleportation skills methinks!

Bring it! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

• AZAmy
      Participant
      @dragonfly716

Here ya go Love! All for YOU!!! @nabilarc

• Nabila Cowasjee
      Participant
      @nabilarc

Drool! ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿผ

• Igor
      Participant
      @igor

I dream of these buns. Oh, my God, I’m already flying out to try these beautiful buns in the world. I’m sure these are the most delicious buns: โ€œEden/New Earthโ€ @AZAmy ++ + +

• Simone
      @simone612

Not sweet but still baked and yummy. ๐Ÿ˜‹
      Quiche Lorraine.

• Lauren
      Keymaster
      @lauren

That looks SO good…i LOVE quiche so much! Also your dinner plate is beautiful, looks vintage.

• Simone
      @simone612

The plates are so old they probably are vintage by now. ๐Ÿ˜†
      I love quiche, too! I don’t know why I haven’t made one for so long. ๐Ÿ™ƒ

• AZAmy
      Participant
      @dragonfly716

I haven’t made one in forever, I seem to make fritata’s more. But I love crust and …I want to experiment with making some sourdough pie crust. Wish you could pass that slice right over!!! ๐Ÿฅง

• AZAmy
      Participant
      @dragonfly716

My first attempt at an artisan Sourdough Loaf… Not bad but @Igor yours look so much better… I will say the house smelled heavenly and it did taste good! ๐Ÿž

• Lauren
      Keymaster
      @lauren

oouu…thats super pretty Amy, especially for your first attempt! I had a dream I baked bread last night…might make that dream a reality this weekend. ๐Ÿ˜Š

• Lauren
      Keymaster
      @lauren

Leon’s birthday today so I surprised him last night by driving up to the Catskills (where he is working on my sister’s house) with sushi and his favorite dessert โ†’ carrot cake

I added applesauce to sub some sugar and for extra moistness…worked better than expected, they came out super moist but without being dense which is such a tricky balance. I stuffed Leon’s with a pecan praline bourbon sauce and rolled the frosting in toasted chopped pecans. (Me, my sister & her gf don’t love nuts so I made two batches…one with, one without) Frosting was standard creamcheese buttercream.

• Nabila Cowasjee
      Participant
      @nabilarc

Yum! I’m with Leon. I love carrot cake. Happy Solar Return Leon. ๐Ÿ™‚

• AZAmy
      Participant
      @dragonfly716

Those look delish cupcake queen! Send one over, carrot cake is one of my fave’s, with nuts please!

• AZAmy
      Participant
      @dragonfly716

Today’s bake…Chicken pot pie ๐Ÿฅง with sour dough biscuits!

• Lauren
      Keymaster
      @lauren

Ouch. that smarts! ๐Ÿคค

• Nabila Cowasjee
      Participant
      @nabilarc

I’ve been really off cooking or baking for a good few weeks but today the baking gods hooked in. Voila! A carrot and ginger cake which ‘rose’ (resurrected?) much higher than it usually does. ๐Ÿค” I’ll take that as a sign. Any sign will do right now.

I have absolutely no desire to eat this cake and whilst the pull to bake was there, my body is still not in complete cahoots with the ‘doing’ bit. (It took all my strength to grate two carrots and all the while I was trying to find a way of getting out of what I had begun- creatively’spiralling’ downwards!!๐Ÿ˜‚)

• AZAmy
      Participant
      @dragonfly716

wow, look at the height of that baby! Ok between you and lauren I now think I need to make some carrot cake. Im thinking of doing cupcakes. But not today… body needs to take it easy. But soon…๐Ÿฅ•๐Ÿง๐Ÿ‘ฉโ€๐Ÿณ

• Lauren
      Keymaster
      @lauren

YUM…hope it was as tasty as it is pretty!

re I have absolutely no desire to eat this cake and whilst the pull to bake was there, my body is still not in complete cahoots with the โ€˜doingโ€™ bit.

This is so me rn. I haven’t even had the desire to bake, which is a travesty in itself, but even if I get the zing I can’t stand long enuf to even mix ingredients. ๐Ÿšซ๐Ÿ‘ฉโ€๐Ÿณ๐Ÿง๐Ÿ™

• Nabila Cowasjee
      Participant
      @nabilarc

“but even if I get the zing I canโ€™t stand long enuf to even mix ingredients.”

So glad its not just me! I am so weak at the moment.๐Ÿ˜ฐ My legs and feet and back are just beyond ridiculous. It’s so easy to go straight to fear and 3D thinking.

I’m intuiting that not only am I ‘clearing’ but also at a 5 D+ boot camp thats testing my resolve to stay clear of 3D knee jerk ‘thinking’ (fear) around survival both on a body level and a financial one at the moment too. Not surprised at all as I am engulfed in this lower chakra stuff big time.

I keep reminding myself of your military man experience and the ‘no need to worry (fear-less)’ message. It rings very true when I tap in to it too. ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿผโค๏ธ

This poem came into my sphere this morning. I particularly like the image. Death before resurrection?๐Ÿ˜ฐ

Iโ€™ve learned to trust my body,
      rather than inter~fear with it.
      I donโ€™t fear that it will get ill.
      I donโ€™t fear that it will get fat.
      Nor do I fear that it will grow old and decrepit.
      Yes, my body will age,
      but my body has no desire to suffer.
      My body lives in grace
      because I love my body
      respond to its simple requests
      and trust my bodyโ€™s intelligence
      to do what it knows best
      to continually thrive
      without my inter~fear~ance.
      ~Sharon Lyn Shepard~
      excerpt from “Wisdom of the Inner Voice”

• Lauren
      Keymaster
      @lauren

Post-report-publish replenishment & reward bake: Triple Chocolate Chunk Coconut Cookies with Toasted Pecans. For the record, this has become “the official cookie” over here at Elbow Acres. Has achieved the impossible according to Leon…first place over my crispy crinkled chocolate chips which were the front runner for over a decade. ๐Ÿ™ƒ๐Ÿ˜

• Nabila Cowasjee
      Participant
      @nabilarc

Yum! New Earth cookies!

• Lauren
      Keymaster
      @lauren

Here is the recipe I use for my Triple Chocolate Chunk Coconut Cookies with Toasted Pecans @christinacocreatingclarity-org

And here are the changes I make to my liking:

Add more CHOCOLATE! Here’s how I make them “triple chocolate”! ๐Ÿซ

1- In addition to cocoa I always add an additional 1/2 ounce of semi-sweet baking chocolate (Ghirardelli or whatever I have on hand)…mix and melt with a tiny bit of cream and add to wet batter

2- Instead of using straight chocolate chips, I mix half semi-sweet chips with half semi-sweet baking chocolate that I chop with a knife…adds another element of texture.

3- I always divide the coconut in half keeping one-half raw for moisture, and I toast the other half to add that toasty flavor but also another texture for more dimension.

4- The recipe calls for just pecans but I always lightly toast them for an extra boost.

5- Lastly, I add a little coconut on top of each cookie before baking for that extra toasted coconut flavor.

Good luck! Hope you enjoy them as much as we do. ๐Ÿฅฐ

• Igor
      Participant
      @igor

Your cookies makes me want to go to America and visit the spiritual places of the communities of light and love. What kind of dough and cream do you use? ๐Ÿฅฐ

• Lauren
      Keymaster
      @lauren

What kind of dough and cream do you use?

I use heavy cream if I have it on hand, if not I will use light cream…any milk will do as a medium help the chocolate melt. As for the dough, I make it from scratch using all-purpose unbleached flour. Here’s the recipe ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• Nabila Cowasjee
      Participant
      @nabilarc

The stone fruit right now is divine and whilst I still love to eat it as is, I thought a bit of pavlova might be a nice throne for it to sit on! ๐Ÿ˜‚

• Lauren
      Keymaster
      @lauren

Just some good ole fashioned PB cookies on a cold winter night. A reward for prepping my corporate taxes ๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿฅฐ

• AZAmy
      Participant
      @dragonfly716

Well the crazy and fearporn has officially been amped up here in the US.
      I’m feeling calm even amidst all the uncertainty, however working to process the many downloads and all the collective crap running thru my bod.
      I haven’t been baking or cooking much in weeks, (sadly, creativity has been flat)
      but today….
      Sourdough Pizza!!!
      #stressbaking

• Lauren
        Keymaster
        @lauren

hell freakin YES! So happy to see a backed good here…and GOD that looks delicious. BAKING is such a sight for sore eyes rn, haven’t had the creative urge in SO long. Hope it was as tasty as it looks. ๐Ÿ•

#stressbaking โ†’ ๐Ÿ˜…

• Lauren
      Keymaster
      @lauren

Baked these two nights ago as a report completion reward: Sesame Tahini Cookies

REALLY like them…it was my first time trying the recipe, a Martha recipe Only changes I made were: 1) 1/2 unbleached flour & 1/2 almond flour for extra density in texture…2) slightly less sugar… 3) salted instead of unsalted butter (IMO it needed the extra salt to contrast the flavors) and 4) only white seeds, my market was out of black sesame seeds : (( Next time I would also add a little more Tahini.

• Lauren
      Keymaster
      @lauren

Was surprisingly able to bake again last night (felt a lift after sundown)…this time for Leon cuz he doesn’t love sesame cookies. He requested blueberry oatmeal cookies which he liked but I thought they tasted a little too “healthy”. Also, the blueberries tasted a little bitter juxtaposed against the sweetness of the cookie, even tho I decrased the sugar as usual. All in all, not sure I would bake with blueberries again. Luckily I saved a portion of the batter and made my own with dried apricots & raisins which I think tasted better.

• Lauren
      Keymaster
      @lauren

Did some savory baking last night too…made a tray of muffin tin omelets with baked hashbrown crusts. Added spinach, tomato, a little basil and feta. (basically stuff I had on hand) Def had your Quiche Lorraine on my mind @simone612 ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿฅง๐Ÿฅฎ๐Ÿฅš๐Ÿง€

• Simone
        @simone612

Holy deliciousness! These look SO GOOD!!! ๐Ÿคค๐Ÿ˜›๐Ÿ˜

• AZAmy
        Participant
        @dragonfly716

I’ve been in bed all day … I just wanna reach thru the screen here and grab one! They look amazing and yummy!

• Lauren
          Keymaster
          @lauren

they’re pretty tasty! and super easy to make…way easier than one single omelet I think. I actually made these for the days when I am too tired to cook but need PROTEIN. quick & easy.

• AZAmy
      Participant
      @dragonfly716

Moon in Cancer today has me baking and cooking…๐Ÿ‘ฉโ€๐Ÿณ๐Ÿฅฃ๐Ÿฅ•๐ŸŽ
      Spicy Black Bean Soup with Sourdough Tortillas and Carrot Apple GF muffins.

• Lauren
      Keymaster
      @lauren

YUM! omg so inspired. wish i had the energy to copy you! (carrot apple muffins sound AMAZing) ๐Ÿฅ•๐ŸŽ๐Ÿง

• AZAmy
      Participant
      @dragonfly716

5d Baking…This sourdough bread rose so quick! My first attempt at making SD loaves…
      #liveyourjoy

• Lauren
        Keymaster
        @lauren

ooouuu those look really purdy! Do they taste as good as they look? ๐Ÿž curiously do you freeze the bread that you can’t eat fresh and if so does it freeze well?

• AZAmy
          Participant
          @dragonfly716

Its really tasty… ( and fluffy I like it better than the store bought artisan sourdough and it rivals the local SD bakery and… I just found a local source for flour… duh it took me awhile considering I live in wheat country. ) Im inspiring some of my apartment mates to start sourdough too! Yes I usually slice the loaf in half n freeze them in a large baggy and make sure all the air is out. I don’t pre-slice as it will dry them out. Since I’m not sharing my bakes right now this works great for this single girl who can’t stop baking even in quarantine. Just made sour dough pie crust.๐Ÿฅง

• Lauren
      Keymaster
      @lauren

After weeks of no physical energy, FINALLY some love in the oven for my monthly report reward. Peanut butter bars w/choc chips. ๐Ÿซ๐Ÿฅœ๐Ÿช (for Leon mostly)

• Lauren
      Keymaster
      @lauren

This is as (Mars rx) motivated as I can get to bake atm…basic butter cookies to ship to my dad (his favorite) for his birthday tomorrow. Without that impetus, not sure I could have mustered up the focus.

I did try a new technique tho (full disclosure: born out of fatigue) I filled the mold with sanded sugars and baked it right in the cookie. ๐Ÿ˜‡ Seemed to work…for the most part. ๐Ÿ˜Š Tho just like the last year, very little interest in eating them myself…it’s like @nabilarc said, baking seems to be for the creativity if anything now.

• AZAmy
        Participant
        @dragonfly716

These are adorable and how clever you are! …Like you I don’t seem to have the craving for anything sweet lately. I do think after a few months off of flour, I will be making some sourdough tortillas or naan soon though. I just scanned this thread and its surprising how much I baked this past year…Sadly, in the past few months aside from a little decorating, my creative juice has felt shut down. โ˜น๏ธ Scorpio is in my 5th house of creativity so Im holding out for a burst of new creativity ๐ŸŽจ as we move thru this underbelly.

• Igor
          Participant
          @igor

I am also very much looking forward to this moment and will start baking fully and new creativity.

• Lauren
          Keymaster
          @lauren

I hear you Amy, same here…it has been very difficult to muster up creative life force for anything with all the reclamation work we are doing rn…I am hoping that something shifts after Mercury direct (and then Mars) because the new report talks about a creative rebirth in the queue. ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿผ

Viewing 112 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.